Friday, July 26, 2013

Showbiz Analysis with Lana Wood


Lana Wood landed her first major acting role at the age of 8, when she was cast as the younger version of her sister Natalie Wood in the John Waynewestern, The Searchers. Her early career path had little to do with following her sister’s success and everything to do with growing up on the set with a sibling where acting and show business were simply a way of life. “That’s how I grew up, I was on sets all the time. I was in public school very very little. There was always a teacher on the set when Natalie was under age and still in school, so I would go to the studio school as well. It was just something that was,” said Wood. Whether it was familiarity or a little bit of genetic predisposition, Wood notes that acting “was simply a continuation of everything I had always known my entire life.”
Fascinatingly, Lana Wood would make her own unique mark in the industry, carving out a career that would veer away from the girl-next-door image her older sister had perfected. Instead, Wood lit up film and television screens for decades as the quintessential beautiful bad girl. From Peyton Place to 007, Lana Wood’s acting and voluptuous beauty threw her into roles she described as “marvelous fun.”
Perhaps her most iconic character, Bond girl Plenty O’Toole (Diamonds Are Forever), wasn’t without Wood’s own special touches. “I wanted to make her (Plenty) as innocent and sweet as humanly possible. I literally changed my voice and my speech pattern (for the role).”
While one might believe Lana Wood masterfully created her own bad-girl brand, Wood notes it wasn’t intentional. “It had to do with how I was perceived. I didn’t choose it,” she says, “I was typecast.”  Still, being repeatedly typecast means you’re doing something pretty convincing as an actor.
Today, Lana Wood juggles acting with her active role as a grandmother. Her sister Natalie’s tragic death in 1981 still weighs heavy, but Lana is quick to share the heartfelt and fascinating tales of their life together. While the backdrop in her life may have been Hollywood glamour, Wood’s warmth and outgoing personality prove that playing a great bad girl has always been just an act.
Listen to my interview with Lana Wood here or on iTunes.
Nancy Berk, Ph.D. is a clinical psychologist, author, humorist and entertainment analyst. The host of the showbiz podcast Whine At 9, Nancy digs a little deeper as she chats with fascinating celebrities and industry insiders. Her book College Bound and Gagged: How to Help Your Kid Get into a Great College Without Losing Your Savings, Your Relationship, or Your Mind can be seen in the feature film Admission starring Tina Fey and Paul Rudd.

No comments:

Post a Comment